Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy Birthday Gabrielle!



Gabrielle turned 17 on December 29th (yesterday)!  She didn't want to celebrate her birthday this year...she never has been big on birthday celebrations.  Gabby doesn't like to make a big deal over her birthday, which is very different from me, as I believe that my birthday is a national holiday that should be celebrated by all and I should be treated like a queen for many days before and many days after the actual date.



What Gabby doesn't realize is that her birthday will always be a big deal.  She was/is the first grandchild for both the Aiden and Drummer families.  Her birth was like a national holiday!  Everyone gathered at the hospital to get a look at the most beautiful baby I had ever seen!  It was like a big house party in our hospital room.  Everyone wanted to take a picture with our little Gabby.  They wanted to watch me change her first diaper (that is what I am attempting to do in the picture above), which would be the first of many firsts for Gabby and our family.


Tonight marks another first.  Now that Gabby is 17, she doesn't have to live by the city curfew laws, just mom and dads curfew law.  So, she and some friends are off to their first 17 and over, being carded concert!  This concert is a big deal.  It's her first concert without me, her first 17 and over carded event, her first time going out without having to worry about curfew laws and....the concert isn't over until around 2:00 am, so it's her first real late night out!  Eric gave her the lectures, told her that he loved her and trusted her and then said good-bye.  He watched me for a second to see if I was going to cry.  I didn't!

Every year for Gabby's birthday, I get a little misty, pull out the baby pictures and reminisce.  I am feeling really old tonight and a little sad that my little 4lbs. 11oz. baby girl is growing up, becoming independent and venturing out into the world.


17 years ago, we were so young and had no idea what we were doing.  I think we did a great job!

Thanks to all that were there on Gabby's first day in the world and who continue to be in her life supporting, encouraging and watching over her every day. (Nana, Papa, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Jay, Auntie Tracie, Uncle Dave, Auntie Stephanie, Auntie Nicole and Felice).




We love you Gabrielle Ollie Aiden!



No comments:

Post a Comment