Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hey, Isn't That Papa?



The girls with papa at the rodeo in Michigan.

We don't have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.




Howard Zinn

I read this quote a few days ago, and knew it meant something to me, I just couldn't figure it out right then.  Last night we attended Brillianteen's production of Grease that Gabby is currently a cast member in.  I went last week with Gabby's Grandma.  This was Eric and Sinobia's first time seeing the show.  

Sinobia was cruising through the program book when she noticed her papa's name listed on the William E. Harper Special Award page.  "Hey, isn't that Papa?"  I hadn't noticed this last week as I looked through the program book, she immediately recognized his name,  Dennis Drummer.  

This award is given each year to an adult who shows exceptional leadership in service to youth in Evanston. It was awarded to papa in 1993, a year before Gabby was born.  

My dad was a hero to me, my girls and many other children in Evanston.  He cared about the youth of Evanston, but especially the African-American youth, who had limited access to so many opportunities in our community.  I believe that many of the ways that I operate within the community and professionally have a lot to do with the many years I watched my dad give of his time, energy and money to the youth in the city of Evanston.

Aha!  Now the quote makes sense to me.  My dad lived the message of the quote every day of his life.  


Sinobia and papa in Louisiana.

Gabby and papa on Easter Sunday.






No comments:

Post a Comment