Saturday, April 28, 2012

Daisy Goes To Prom




I have been wanting to do some volunteering outside of my regular suburban stuff.  Today I went into the city to volunteer for a great organization that I have recently heard about and met a great 18 year old named Daisy.



The Glass Slipper Project collects new and almost-new formal dresses and accessories and provides them, free of charge, to students who are unable to purchase their own prom attire.  They distribute the dresses at the Glass Slipper "boutiques"each prom season, where each student receives individual assistance from a volunteer "personal shopper" as she shops for the dress of her dreams.
  
Today I was a personal shopper for Daisy.  She reminded me a lot of Gabby; she was certain of what she didn't like and pretty particular about getting exactly what she wanted.  She was not going to change her mind or let the idea of searching through thousands of dresses get in the way of her getting her dream prom dress.  


Daisy started by saying she wanted the color teal. We walked into the first room of dresses and as she browsed around, I found a really cute teal dress.  In predictable teenager fashion, her eyes got big with horror at my fashion suggestion.  She was polite and humble when telling me that my choice was not quite the one.  As the morning went on, we tried on pink, blue, brown, red, black and green.  After about 15-20 dresses, her Godmother decided to steer Daisy in a different direction and have her try on dresses that she may not necessarily like on the hanger, but they may look good on her.  


Off we go into the dressing room again.  Daisy tries on a beautiful red dress that fits her like it was made for her.  Her Godmother and I gasp as I zip up the last inch and we see her in this dress.  "This is the one!" we say in unison.  She is beaming, this could be the one.  There is another dress that she has brought into the dressing room, it is the very first teal dress I held up for her 2 hours ago!  She tries it on...."Oh my god, I love this dress!", is what she says:)  She tries on the red dress again and then the teal dress one more time.  This is truly the dress.  Her face beams in it, she is confident and feels beautiful.  It is glamorous with a touch of "bad-ass".   


Off we go to find shoes, make-up, jewelry, and accessories.  This part is easy now that we have found a dress.  3 hours later, Daisy and I hug, exchange emails (she promises to send me pictures from prom night!) and part ways.  She is excited, her Godmother is happy and I couldn't be more proud of the work that is being done today by this organization and the hundreds of volunteers that are working along side of me.

Gabby wanted to join me today, but you have to be 18 years old to volunteer.  She is looking forward to going along with me next year.  Anyone else want to join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment