Sunday, May 8, 2011

I Think We Make a Great Team!


This weekend Eric and I attended our last Dawes Elementary School Sol Fest event as Dawes parents.  We have been parents at Dawes for 11 years. 

Gabby trotted off to Kindergarten in September 2000.  I had Sinobia (5 months old) in the backpack, stroller, wagon or sled each day.  Sinobia learned to walk on the Dawes playground, hanging out each day with her big sister.  Then, in September 2005, Sinobia entered into Kindergarten at Dawes kicking and screaming all the way and every day (this is not an exaggeration). 

I am a lot like my dad. My dad was always involved in the community.  He believed in serving your community, reaching out to others and letting your children know that you are invested in them, their futures and their schools.  Eric is a lot like my dad too.  He is a firm believer that parents are a huge piece of their child's education experience.  He believes in having a presence at our children's schools, being involved, taking ownership in their education and school experiences. 

11 years later...we are honored with the Bonnie Silverman Award for Dawes Community Service.


It all started with Eric agreeing to be a Daisy Leader for Gabby's Daisy troop.  3 women and 1 great dad.  He became an instant celebrity on the playground.  All the moms loved him.  Who wouldn't? Who doesn't love a dad that is invested in his daughter's activities?

Then it began to become addicting....hot dog griller at Dash-about, cotton candy maker and more hot dogs at carnival, field trip chaperon, visits during lunch with Happy Meals and Taco Bell!

It was then my turn...becoming the Market Day chair.  "It's so much fun, you'll love it!"  It wasn't fun and I didn't love it, but I did it for the school and my children. 

Next, Eric took on the position of PTA Co-President!  At that time there were 2 dads filling the co-president positions.  Talk about climbing the playground social ladder!  Eric served 2 years as PTA co-president

At the end of Eric's 2 year term, I fell for the same old line again "It's so much fun, you'll love it!"  I took over his position and became the 2nd Aiden to be PTA co-president.  Yahoo...celebrity status on the playground, my own mailbox, a tax exempt letter in my wallet, and check signing privileges (I don't think I ever signed a check though).  This I did enjoy, but it was 2 long, hard working and tiring years!

At the end of my term, I decided I was done with PTA meetings, but not done with being involved.  So, I took on some lighter jobs; noodles night, TV tune-out week, Teacher Appreciation Week, selling meals at carnival, running games, recruiting more African American families to attend the PTA meetings and have a voice in their children's school and education.

This year, my last year at Dawes, I just took on Teacher Appreciation Week.  I went appreciation crazy, but the teachers deserved it.  We have had 11 magnificent years at the very best school and with the very best faculty in Evanston...Dawes Elementary School!

We will miss everyone at Dawes.  I will remember and cherish all of the love and attention that everyone gave to my 2 children.  The teachers were amazing, thoughtful and caring.  The staff became my friends.  The Principal will hopefully be a great buddy of ours when we are no longer principal-student/principal-parent. 

We promise to visit often and possibly show up at next years Sol Fest!

2 comments:

  1. Dawes is losing an awesome family!! Hopefully your example of parenting anf
    d school participation will live on. Congrats on the A
    Bonnie Silverman...you two deserve it!!!!! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please ignore the typos in the previous post... :-)

    ReplyDelete