Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Sound of Music!

I have a piano in our dining room that my dad gave to me.  He bought it for me when I was about 7 years old.  He sent me to Mrs. Johnson's house once a week for piano lessons for a little while, then had a piano teacher come to our home for lessons for a little while. 

I never learned how the play the piano! 
(although there is one song I play over and over and over again)

When we bought our house in 1999, by dad told me to come get the piano.  "See if you can get your kids to play it, since I couldn't get you to play!"  Those were his words 12 years ago. 

The piano sat in a room, in the corner, in the basement of our house for 11 years.  It was never played.  We moved in October and Eric tried to convince me to give the piano away or sell it.  I couldn't bring myself to part from this gift from my dad.  So Eric reluctantly agreed to have it moved and let it take up space in our dining room. 

Our dining room is also our music room...there are 2 Guitars (we don't know how to play them), a Harp (that Sinobia thought she REALLY wanted to play), a Cello (that Gabby has played since 4th grade) and an Upright Bass (that Sinobia  has played since 4th grade and pretends to play at school concerts) (yes, I'm on to you Sinobia!) and my lonely Piano! 

So, it is funny to me that I spent most of the last week at musical performances for my children.  They don't want to play my piano, but they do seem to have a little bit of musical talent.  I'm not sure where they got their Musial appreciation and talent from, but the sound of music has been ringing in my ears!


Sinobia playing the Bass at the Dawes/Walker/Oakton Spring Concert.  She's the only "advanced" Bass player, so she thinks she's hot stuff!


Sinobia playing the Bass at the Dawes/Walker/Oakton Spring Concert. 

 

(Finale in D ....George Frideric Handel)
Gabrielle Playing Cello in the E.T.H. S. Orchestra Spring concert.  She's in the second row/second chair.  You can see her little bun sticking up!


(March to the Scaffold from Symponie Fantastique...Hector Berlioz)
Gabrielle Playing Cello in the E.T.H. S. Orchestra Spring concert.







No comments:

Post a Comment