Thursday, July 7, 2011

Class of 1986!


Last weekend the class of 1986 celebrated it's 25th class reunion.  Yes, Eric and I graduated in 1986, and yes we still look fabulously young (go ahead, you can laugh).

I think about class reunions in a way similar to the way I think about facebook.  I maintain my idea that everyone I want to see and keep in touch with, I see anyway, send them Christmas cards or hope they read my blog!  So, as the big reunion day approached, Eric and I decided that it would not be a big deal if we missed another one (we were absent from our 20th too). 

Saturday afternoon, as I was working in the yard, Tracie calls me and says,

"I'm going to the after party and you are too."

"Whatever...you know that is way past my bedtime."

Yeah, well be ready.  I'll call you when I'm on my way.  You're going!"


There was a piece of me dreading getting all dolled up to impress my long-lost classmates and a piece of me that began to get a little excited about getting out of the house for a little "party-time" and see some old friends.  I went inside to let Eric know that Tracie had insisted that I go and he had to go too.

"Nope, I'm not going.  You go and have a great time."

"Come on Eric, we're a team, I can't go without you."

"Nope. You go and I'll hang out with the girls."

"Party-pooper!"

As the time neared for Tracie to pick me up, I decided that I was not going to get all dolled up.  Who would even recognize me if I threw on make-up, a dress and heels?  That wasn't my style in 1986 and it certainly isn't my style now.  So, I opted for the super-laid-back look, Skinny jeans, tank-top and sandals.  Totally me now and totally me in 1986.  Me just being me!


We arrived at the party a little after mid-night (way past my 2011 bed-time, but so 1986 of me).  I immediately recognized faces!  Oh my gosh...I couldn't believe that I was going to miss this! Plenty of hugs, kisses, "you look exactly the same", "how have you been doing?" "I can't believe it's you!" 


I dive into my purse and text Eric..."You need to be here!"  He was totally going to be crushed when I told him about all of the people I was seeing.  He didn't text me back, probably watching movies with the girls or fast asleep.


Anyway, we had a great time.  Laughing, dancing, catching up with everyone.  People seemed surprised to see that Tracie and I were still connected at the hip...best buds for 34 years!  Everyone looked amazing.


I returned home around ??? am. way, way past my bedtime, almost time to wake up!  The next morning (or later that morning) I found Eric on facebook, looking at the pictures from the reunion.  He saw a few of the pictures that I had taken with his camera too and started to look a little disappointed.  "Man, I should have gone to the reunion." 

I have to say, I'm now pretty sad that I didn't go to the actual reunion too.  My old brain does not allow me to remember all of the people that I spent my high school years with.  At the after-party, some of the names and faces began to come back to me.  I started thinking, "what about so-and-so and so-and-so?"

Eric and I have agreed that we will be ready (weight loss and coloring the grey hairs) and present for the next reunion.  See all of you at the 30th!



No comments:

Post a Comment