Saturday, September 17, 2011

17 years...Happy Anniversary!



Today is the 17th anniversary of Eric and I being married.

I remember my maid of honor going to get her hair done and locking her keys in the car (do you remember that Tracie?) and my dad cutting his finger while unfolding table and chairs.  He needed stitches, but insisted it would fine.  It rained on the morning of our wedding.  We had an outdoor wedding and I was in tears because of all the rain.  My dad assured me that it would be ok and that it was good luck for it to rain on your wedding day.  I believe he was telling the truth.

We were so young, but knew that we were supposed to be together.  Never had I ever imagined that I would get married, until I met (or re-met) Eric.  At some point while we were dating, I knew that he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.  I knew he would be a terrific husband, father and provider.  He has proven this over and over again.  

I remember our rehearsal dinner, where I insisted that Rev. Wade not say obey in our vows.  I knew we would alway love and honor, but also knew that we would always be in it together, holding each other up, supporting each other and making decisions together...no obeying necessary.  During the ceremony, Rev. Wade paused at the obey part, gave us a huge grin and continued on with our vows (minus the obeying).  We both looked at each other, giggled a little bit and started our life together.

Anyone who says that marriage is easy, is either crazy or not giving you the full truth.  It's not easy, it's hard work, but worth it.  Like every marriage, we have seen our share of troubles, but remembered our promise to each other always.  I hope that our 2 beautiful girls understand how rare it is these days for couples to still be together and cherish the fact that they get to grow up with both their parents present every day.  I hope they understand how sacred the union of marriage is and that it is not something to take for granted or take lightly (is that part of the vows?).  

Anyway, 17 years is a long time.  We have both grown so much, as individuals and as a couple.  We have weathered difficult times and always kept focused on what was ultimately important, our family and our love.  

Happy Anniversary Eric...here's to 17 more glorious years!

1 comment: