Saturday, September 17, 2011

9/11



The 10 year anniversary of 9/11 was last weekend.  Many people commemorated this day with ceremonies and flash backs of where they were on that dreadful day.

9/11 was a day that changed my life.  It was not because of the tragedy that occurred in the United States, but because it was my first day stepping into a classroom as a teacher.  With all that was going on in the world on that day, I dropped my children off at school and grandmas and headed to School for Little Children to meet my new co-teacher (shout-out to Donna) and enter into my first classroom.

I remembered being completely overwhelmed with all of the events of the day.  I truly wanted to go retrieve my children and run back home for safety.  Instead, I continued on my path towards the school....towards being a teacher.

I have been a teacher for the past 10 years now.  I believe I took the right path 10 years ago.  My co-teacher has become one of my best friends...I love her dearly.  I have had the opportunity to meet some amazing educators along my journey.  Many have mentored me, inspired me, encouraged me and pushed me to be a better teacher.  I have been lucky enough to have worked with a fabulous collection of people.

After many tries at many careers, I have found my place in the working world, a place that I enjoy being every day...amongst children and their families.

I am not the teacher that I started out as, I have learned a lot, let go of a lot and evolved into someone who is thoughtful and respectful of young children, their learning and their growth in the world.

This is my belated "being a teacher" anniversary post, celebrating and honoring all who I have crossed paths with in the past 10 years and all who have been a part of my continued journey as an educator.





1 comment:

  1. And how lucky those of us who got to benefit from your choice are!
    The Valenzuela Friedmanns are grateful!

    ReplyDelete