Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Natural Wonder for Sure!

 
For spring break, we took the girls to Arizona to see one of the worlds  "natural wonders", the Grand Canyon.  I have to admit, that I was in awe of the hole in the ground for about 10 minutes.  Most of my trip, I marveled over the other "natural wonder"...Eric and his girls. 
"Dad, dad, dad", that is most of what I heard on the trip.  Despite they're eye rolling and the "you're so annoying!" these two girls wanted nothing more than to be with their dad.  There are often times (many times) that Eric becomes overwhelmed with the female presence in our home.  We out number him greatly (Mom, Gabby, Sinobia, Coreena, Sicily and the female named cat Nera, who is really a boy!)  There is a lot of mood swings, demanding of attention and whining that goes on in our house.  Eric deals with it every day.  I do admit, we are not an easy bunch to live with...we are slightly high maintenance.  We do remind him, often, of how lucky he is to have us in his life and we take plenty of opportunities to point out more extreme female behaviors that he is spared from by having us in his life. 


 I believe that Gabby and Sinobia are the true loves of Eric's life.  He lives and breaths for them.  Everything he does (with the exception of football Sundays), he does with them in mind. Should I be jealous?  Nope...I know I'm Eric's best friend and his true love as well.  Our relationship is separate from the daddy-daughter thing.  My heart aches (in a good way) when I watch them together.  His heart is in the right place.  I couldn't dream of wanting anything more for our family...for our girls.  Yeah, I'm not chopped liver in our house, my relationship and mommy role is just different.  It's special in it's own way, but this post isn't about me.





Watching Eric on our vacations was priceless.  He was excited to see the Grand Canyon, but he was more excited to see the girls witness it for the first time.  He was proud to give them this opportunity to travel and explore the world, an experience that neither of us had when we were growing up.  They were adventurous, grateful and remarkably well behaved.  They soaked up every experience and I believe will always remember this trip with their family...with their dad.



There is nothing more magical than a father and his loving relationship with his daughters.  Eric possess a relationship with Gabby and Sinobia that I know I can never have.  It is special and sacred.  It will always be cherished.  They adore him, rely on him, trust him and know that he will always be there to protect them.  As a daughter, who's dad is no longer with me, I am more in tune with these special feelings they have for their dad.  I always knew my dad would be there for me, no matter what...and he was.  There is a place in my heart that feels the void, now that he is gone.  Eric is the love of my life, but there will never be another man like my dad. 

I often think about what sort of man could possibly capture the hearts of these two girls.  I feel sorry for this guy.  He will always be compared to the greatness of Eric as a dad and as a husband.  Will they even give anyone a fair chance? Eric has taught Gabby and Sinobia what it means to be a friend, a partner, a provider,  a protector and a mentor.  There probably is no greater gift he can give them than showing them what the best really is and that they should expect no less when they find "the one" for them.
Thanks Daddy Eric...We love you!

1 comment: