Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dip-Dye...It's Only Fair!


What I have learned in the past 12 years as a mom of 2 girls is that:

  • the younger sister always remembers what you did for the older...so you have to be "fair" (according to Sinobia).

So, while Gabby is away in Spain, Sinobia reminds me that I dyed Gabby's hair for her in 7th grade, so guess who's in 7th grade this year?  Now it's Sinobia's turn to have her hair dyed.

How convenient for her that all the rage now is the "dip-dye" look and that she really has to have the look for her "swag appeal".

Dip-dying is the new look, where you just dye the tips of your hair to make it look like you dipped it in the dye.

It's a little more complicated than just dipping, but I'm confident I can handle it, as Gabby received a head full of fuchsia streaks for her first dye job from mom.

I already have hair bleach to lift hair color and I've got a great collection of bright dyes (fuchsia, purple, turquoise, navy blue).  Of course, Sinobia wants a new color.  Her own signature color.  After several trips to beauty supply stores, we find the perfect shade of teal to add to our color collection.

We get up and get started early this morning.  Early for us on a Saturday morning is 11:00 am.


1.  For dark hair, mix the bleach/color lifter.


 2.  Braid hair.  Use a rubber-band to mark how much hair you want to dye.


3.  Apply bleach/color lifter to the section of hair below the rubber-band.


4.  Let color lift to the desired lightness.  I always get nervous during this part for some reason.  I always imagine their hair turning white, which would be perfect for this technique, but I'm too chicken to go there.


5.  Rinse/wash our bleach/color lifter.  Blow dry section.  Add your desired hair color to the section.


6.  Depending on the intensity of the color you want, let color sit for 20-40 minutes.  We let ours stay on for 30 minutes,


7.  Rinse our hair color, shampoo section and blow dry.


8.  I did it!

You'll love this...I'm emailing Gabby to give her the updates from home.  I tell her about my dying Sinobia's hair, because she got to color her hair in 7th grade too.  Here is her response to me:

"Oh okay I see! Actually I got my first streaks in 8th grade so....... Idk if you can do it now:)"

I've totally been scammed by the younger sister!   That is so not fair!   Ha...too late now!




No comments:

Post a Comment