Monday, October 1, 2012

This Job Is Not For The Weak.


On Saturday, our family headed down to Navy Pier for the National College Fair.

Yes, I said college!

Gabrielle is a senior this year and we are beginning our journey through the world of college choices, applications, waiting, acceptance (or maybe not) and $$$$.

I must say, that on my end of it, it hasn't felt too stressful.  There is the financial burden of dropping $70 to $80 per application that we submit and the worry of how on earth are we going to pay for college, but that's it for now.  I imagine it will feel a little more stressful around April when we are waiting to hear back from schools.

I feel as if the past few weeks have brought us all closer together.  Gabrielle has asked for me to help her organize her college prospects, remember all of her extra-curricular activities, achievements and awards of the past 4 years.  No eye rolling, no sighing, no being "annoying"....just collaboration and me totally admiring Gabby for all her hard work and achievements.  Sinobia is getting a crash course in college 101 and Eric is taking a breather from the college trips and visits for now and quietly glances over our shoulders as we continue our college research.

This morning, a good friend and colleague ("shout out" to Lizzy B) handed me a piece of paper with the title "The Wholehearted Parenting Manifesto" I couldn't read it in front of Liz.  She knows I'm a big cry-baby and passionate about my children and take my job as a parent too seriously.  She has listened to me telling stories about my girls...their successes, their failures and me and my never-ending love for them.  I brag about them to her and I bitch about them to her.  She listens.  She knows that outside of work, these girls (and Eric) are my life.  She knows that parenting is not for the weak.  I have been the strongest I have ever been in my life over the past 17 (almost 18) years, working beside Eric to raise strong, confident, loving, compassionate, risk-taking, tell-it-like-it-is girls.  Thanks Liz, this says it all...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bren/wholehearted-parenting-manifesto_b_1923011.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp0000



No comments:

Post a Comment